Carla Calogero focuses her practice on: elder and special needs law; the representation of persons involved in guardianships, probates and trusts; vulnerable adult protective proceedings; TEDRA (Trust and Estate Dispute Resolution Act) proceedings, and; advance care, end of life, and estate planning.
Carla is also regularly appointed by the King County Superior Court to serve as Guardian ad Litem, court- appointed Attorney, or Special Representative for alleged incapacitated persons, adjudicated incapacitated persons, and minors in guardianship, trust, probate and litigation matters.
Carla is a past Chair of the Elder Law Section of the Washington State Bar Association, and a past Chair of the Guardianship and Elder Law Section of the King County Bar Association.
Carla currently serves on the Board of Directors of Sound Generations (formerly known as Senior Services) and on the Washington State Dementia Action Collaborative.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Carla was a Seattle public high school biology teacher, as well as a bioethics instructor and curriculum author. She holds a Master’s degree in Bioethics from the University of Washington and a Master’s degree in Education from Western Washington University. As an attorney, Carla enjoys the opportunity to educate various community and professional groups at her many speaking engagements and publications.
Honors and Awards
- Washington Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2015 to 2020
Selected Speaking Engagements 2016-2020
- “Considerations in Individualized End of Life Planning.” Laird Norton Wealth Management and Reed Longyear Malnati & Ahrens Client Seminar: Estate Planning for Your 60s and Beyond, January 2020.
- “Marshaling and Inventorying Estate Assets.” King County Bar Association 15th Annual Probate Administration Seminar. November 2019.
- “Advance Care and Estate Planning for Clients with Dementia – Ethical and Practical Considerations.” Estate Planning Council of North Central Washington. October 2019
- “End of Life Planning.” Washington Women in Tax. October 2018.
- “Advising Clients in End of Life Planning.” Washington State Bar Association Real Property Probate and Trust Section Midyear Conference. June 2018.
- “The Guardian’s Considerations of End of Life Options in Washington State.” Washington Association of Professional Guardians Spring Conference. May 2018.
- “Guardianship in Washington State.” Swedish Family Medicine First Hill – Geriatric Fellowship Program. February 2018.
- “Planning for Dying” Continuing Legal Education (CLE) with Aging Wisdom®. January 2018.
- “Working with Clients with Diminished Capacity.” Panelist. Advocating for Health Care Consumers in Uncertain Times. Northwest Health Law Advocates. October 2017.
- “Guardianship in Washington State.” Brain Injury Alliance of Washington. October 2017.
- “Surrogate Decision-Making Including Guardianship in Washington State.” VA Puget Sound Health Care System – Geriatric Fellowship Program. August 2018.
- “Standards, Ethics and Guardian Ad Litem Best Practices,” Panelist and Moderator. Title 11 Guardianship Guardian ad Litem Training, King County Bar Association. April 2017.
- “Less Restrictive Alternatives to Guardianship,” Presenter, Advanced Guardianship Issues, King County Bar Association. April 2017.
- “Examining the Guardian’s Work Through the Ethical Frameworks of Principalism and the Ethics of Care,” Presenter, Guardianship Institute 14th Annual Certified Professional Guardian Continuing Education Program. April 2017.
- “Legal and Ethical Issues (of Voluntarily Stopping Eating and Drinking),” Panelist, Hastening Death by Voluntarily Stopping Eating and Drinking: Clinical, Legal, Ethical, Religious, and Family Perspectives Conference. Seattle University School of Law. October 2016.
- “Elder Law and Bioethics”, Presenter to the Care Management Certification Program at the University of Washington, Professional and Continuing Education. February 2016.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association Elder Law Section
- Executive Committee
- Secretary, 2019 - Present
- Trustee, 2017 – 2019
- Immediate Past Chair, 2016–2017
- Chair, 2015–2016
- Chair-Elect, 2014–2015
- Outreach Chair, 2012–2014
- Washington Young Lawyers Division Liaison, 2011–2012
- Executive Committee
- King County Bar Association Guardianship and Elder Law Section
- Executive Committee
- Legislative Chair, 2015 – present
- Chair, 2014–2015
- Chair-Elect, 2013–2014
- Secretary, 2012–2013
- Treasurer, 2011–2012
- Executive Committee
- Estate Planning Council of Seattle
- Washington Women in Tax
- Washington State Bar Association Real Property and Probate Section
- King County Bar Association Real Property and Probate Section
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- Washington Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- Co-Author – “Fiduciaries” Chapter. Washington State Bar Association Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Administration Deskbook. 2020 publication forthcoming.
- Author – “Considerations in Individualized End of Life Planning”. Reed Longyear Blog, 2020.
- Author – “Few Have Done Enough End-of-Life Planning.” Puget Sound Business Journal. July 13, 2018.
- Author – “Voluntary Stopping Eating and Drinking: A Way to Hasten Death as an End-of-Life Option.” Real Property, Probate & Trust Section of the Washington State Bar Association Spring 2018 Newsletter. Vol. 45, Number 1.
- Author – “Elder Law Month.”Reed Longyear Blog, 2015.
- Author – “A Durable Power-of-Attorney May be the Most Important Legal Document You Execute.” Parkinson’s Pathfinder Winter 2014, Washington Chapter American Parkinson Disease Association.
- Chief Editor – Family and Volunteer Guardian Handbook, King County Bar Association, 2011.
Pro Bono Activities
- Sound Generations (formerly Senior Services), Board Member, 2015 – Present.
- Washington State Dementia Action Collaborative, 2016 – Present.
- Washington State Medical Association POLST Task Force, Member, 2013 – Present.
- Lifetime Advocacy Plus Master Pooled Trust, Trust Investment Committee Member, 2014 – 2020.
- American Parkinson Disease Association, Board Member (Northwest Chapter), 2014 – 2016.
- King County Bar Association Elder Law Clinic, Attorney Volunteer, 2010 – 2015.
- King County Superior Court Ex-Parte/Probate Department, Volunteer Attorney, Probate and Guardianship Review Calendars, 2010 – 2015
- Washington First Responders Wills Clinic, Volunteer Attorney, 2010 – 2012.
- Loren Miller Bar Association Estate Planning Clinic, Volunteer Attorney, 2011.