Jason primarily focuses his practice on litigation matters with an emphasis on real estate, probate, trust and will litigation. Jason also has significant experience in business law matters and dedicates part of his practice to representing businesses in transactions as well as litigation.
An accomplished and practical litigator, Jason works to resolve clients’ legal problems from beginning to end. He applies creative problem-solving and real world analysis to identify and maximize cost-effective and favorable resolutions. Litigation for Jason includes advising clients on how to avoid litigation, and he counsels clients on pre-litigationstrategies and dispute resolution, and helps them identify issues and analyze the risk of alternative courses of action.
Jason graduated from the University of Washington in 1995 and earned his Juris Doctor from Seattle University in 2000. He clerked for the Honorable Elaine Houghton on the Division II Court of Appeals and the Honorable Charles W. Johnson on the Washington Supreme Court. Employing his writing skills, Jason is an editor of the Washington State Bar Association’s Real Property, Probate and Trust newsletter and is also a member of the editorial board for the Washington State Real Property Desk Book Series.
- KCBA 17th Annual Probate Administration, Speaker. October 2021
- 66th Annual Estate Planning Seminar, Speaker. October 28-29, 2021
- KCBA 16th Annual Probate Administration, Speaker. October 2020
- KCBA 15th Annual Probate Administration, Speaker. October 2019
- KCBA 14th Annual Probate Administration, Speaker. October 2018
- KCBA 13th Annual Probate Administration, Speaker. October 2017
- KCBA 12th Annual Probate Administration, Speaker. October 2016
- KCBA 11th Annual Probate Administration, Speaker. November 2015
- “Maintaining A Balance: Ethics and Probate Litigation”, Using TEDRA to Facilitate Estate Administration, Speaker, King County Bar Association. August 2015
Honors and Awards
- Washington Super Lawyer Selection – 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Washington Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Washington Bar Association, Business Law Section
- King County Bar Association
- 2020-2021 KCBA Section Chair (Real Property, Probate and Trust Section)
- Filipino Chamber of Commerce
- Co-Author of Chapter in King County Probate Manual (2022 Update)
- Successfully defended Will/Estate against allegations of undue influence and incapacity; 2/3rds of claimants dismissed with prejudice at initial hearing—case resolved through voluntary dismissal by remaining claimant without settlement.
- Collected over 88% of $1.9 Million Dollar judgment through execution process.
- Successfully defended Trust/Trustee against allegations of undue influence and incapacity; Entire case dismissed with prejudice at initial hearing.
- Appealed and successfully modified guardianship to restore testamentary rights.
- Successfully represented surviving spouse in lost will contest.
- Successfully defended Trust against claim for attorneys’ fees billed by conflicted counsel.
- Multiple successful claims against self-dealing and conflicted interest fiduciaries.
- Successfully represented Plaintiff in Court of Appeals; reversed the trial court and remanded the case with instructions to grant the entire relief sought.
- Represented Plaintiff in breach of contract action seeking to hold successor entity liable for debt. Defendants' best offer was $10,000. Won trial verdict of $188,000, including attorneys' fees and costs, along with successor entity liability.
- Defended individual in adverse possession/boundary dispute. Settled litigation favorably, including payment of monies to Plaintiff, granting exclusive, permanent easement over disputed land in favor of Defendant, and no change in existing fence-line.
- Successfully defended Personal Representative and Estate against numerous and varied creditors' claims and allegations of personal liability of Personal Representative.
In re Estate of Petelle, 195 Wn.2d 661, 462 P.3d 848 (2020)
Samra v. Singh, 15 Wn.App. 2d 823, 479 P.3d 713 (2020)
In re Estate of Petelle, 8 Wn. App. 2d 714, 440 P.3d 1026 (2019)
In re Funding of Pagel Irrevocable Trust, 2017 Wash. App. Lexis 1998 (unpublished opinion)
Christensen v. Roach, 2015 Wash. App. Lexis 1890 (unpublished opinion)
In re Estate of Taylor, 2010 Wash. App. Lexis 2794 (unpublished opinion)